Blood Donor Program
Paws with a Purpose
Just like humans, some animals have serious illnesses or injuries that may require a blood transfusion. To perform blood transfusions, the team of Catskill Veterinary Services need blood donors. The blood products that we use at Catskill Veterinary Services come from area donors that have passed rigorous health screening by our team.
Canine Blood Donor Requirements
- Minimum of 50 lbs with a body condition score of 4-5/9 (exception for athletic dogs)
- Between 1-6 years of age
- Up to date on Rabies and Distemper combo vaccinations
- Negative Heartworm and tick disease testing
- Not currently taking any chronic medication EXCEPT flea/tick/heartworm prevention
- Good temperament and easy to handle
- No history of blood transfusions
- No history of pregnancy
- Must live within 45 min of Catskill Veterinary Services.
Your dog does NOT need to be a patient of Catskill Veterinary Services to be a donor hero!